Wow.....so much has happened today I don’t even know where to start. I woke up on easy coast time and was trying to be quiet so as not to wake Brooks. He woke up early as well and immediately checked flight aware to see what aircraft we were going to be on.
Not. The. Max.
Are you kidding me?
We start looking on Southwest’s website to try to see if we have any other options from Vegas to anywhere within reason on the Max. Brooks finds two options, one to Orlando and one to New Orleans. Some texts back and forth with Greg (as he attempted an elliptical workout) confirmed we could fly home on points from basically either.
So....I called Southwest and got the worst rep ever. After explaining our situation she put me on hold to talk with her supervisor. He said there was no difference between the Max and the 737.....what a rookie. Thankfully we know the difference and also what our options are.
Long story short without going into all the details, it was going to cost us a couple hundred dollars with no guarantee they wouldn’t switch the planes out on us before they left. My tears didn’t help at all. I get that mechanical issues can cause them to switch planes or major delays but neither of them caused our flight to be changed. It seems like Southwest obviously changes planes around for different reasons and I wanted them to give me some idea that it wouldn’t switch again on us. No such luck.
I hung up and cried some more. A call to Greg to discuss other options. We were running out of time and missing out on our chance to explore the city.
I decide to call back and got the nicest rep ever who actually knew what she was doing. She checked the flight numbers, tail numbers and overall Vegas schedule and said she felt really good that the New Orleans flight would be on the max. Sold. Sign me up.
Next question was about our early bird check in. We paid for priority boarding on the original flight, that of course didn’t transfer over. She tried to book us on business select but it was going to be 500.00....or not. She suggested we ask at the gate at the airport to see if we could upgrade for 40.00. Much better option.
Priority boarding is important so Brooks can try to get in the flight deck and also so that we can get good seats. If not, it’s not the end of the world but again would be nice.
Now we can breathe somewhat easy and go enjoy Vegas.