This guide will probably make you want to pull out your credit card and pick up some new cool gear.
But for good cause, because awesome travel gear makes travel that much easier, right?
If you agree then you’re in for a treat today because we’ll go over what will most likely become your new favorite gear for 2019. Let’s get started…
As with a lot of this list, your checked luggage style depends on your tastes. I default to soft-sided, sling over the shoulder, duffel style… but loads of our community love the hard-sided gear (which for most trips is ideal).
Here’s a bit of each:
- For the hard-sided, you can’t go wrong with the Samsonite Omni Expandable Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels (CoolLife also has a pretty killer deal on this 3-pc hard-sided set)
- For the soft-sided, hands down it’s one of these Patagonia Black Hole® bags — 55L and up. (They’re made from recycled plastic bottles
- And for the backpackers, check out the Osprey Packs Stratos 50 For Men and the Osprey Sirrus 50 For Women (ideal for the serious hiker and multi-day treks).
A killer carry-on is key. Not only do you need it for the flight, but then on your day to day while you’re exploring…
So it needs to be comfortable, organized, and look awesome. Here are our top picks:
- I’ve been using the Hershel Little America for 4 or 5 years now. It’s pretty simple, but looks cool and has the perfect laptop sleeve (my wife Mak has one too).
- We just brought these awesome Undercover Anti-Theft Backpacksto the shop and people love them. Ideal for tourist traps, and also has a 15″ laptop compartment.
- If you really like to travel light, check out The World’s Easiest Carry On Travel Tote. Don’t need it? Roll it up and toss it in your checked until you do.
- I also think this personalized weekender duffel looks incredible. Similar to my Hershel duffel, but looks better (and can be personalized!).
The world is digital. Here’s our favorite tech gear to make it smooth sailing with all your gadgets abroad:
- Once you go wireless earbuds you won’t go back. If you rock the Apple EarPods you’re golden but, if not, these Wireless Noise Canceling Bluetooth Earbuds are sweet (and, yes, noise canceling so you can zonk out on the flight).
- Quit fighting for the charger with this multi-USB international travel adapter.
- We used this Rain Or Shine Portable Solar Charger on the boat and loved it. Stay charged when you need it.
- Music is mandatory, pretty much 24/7. Same goes while traveling, especially when hanging out in a hotel room putting back a few coldies getting ready for a night out. We have the JBL Flip 4, but I love how small and durable this Kunodi model is.
Travel accessories are part function, part fun… which is the perfect combo.
- Becoming our top-selling accessory is our travel tech organizer. No more tangled cords, missing headphones, or any other tech hassle.
- Tame your luggage with the perfect packing cube set (and here’s a handy shoe bag)
- Here’s a cool toiletry bag, vintage map of the world pouch, a cute cosmetic kit, and the popular “bucket makeup case.”
- For the sightseer who’s also an animal lover, get this compact lint roller.
- Never get caught in a pickle with Old Faithful, our 14-in-1 travel multi-tool (it’s free, you just cover shipping
- I don’t even care what kind of trip you’re about to embark on, you cannot go wrong with a great headlamp in your case. I can’t even count the number of times mine has come in extremely handy.
- And a great water bottle goes a long way. Here’s our compact choice, our standard choice, and our just-in-case choice.
For A Little R&R
It’s not all about rush rush rush on a trip. And if you need a little direction for some rest and relaxation, take a gander at this stuff:
- Here’s the best travel pillow made: Huzi Infinity Pillow.
- Looking for an eye mask? Can’t go wrong with this one from Bucky.
- Do yourself a favor and read these 5 Benefits Of Slow Travel (and then take it slow!).
- ALWAYS bring a book along… ideally one that sparks the adventurer in you like one of these 18 Of The Best Travel Books (an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is a great option too).
- Prefer to listen? Here’s the 10 Best Travel Podcasts For Long Haul Trips, and 2 freebies from Audiobooks.com.
- Prefer to watch? Here are the 18 Best Travel Movies Of All Time (save it for a rainy day tho, okay?).
- Want a quick laugh? Look at these Painfully Hilarious Hotel Failsand these Hilarious Airport Photos.
- Get jetlag? Here are 9 Tips For Fast Jet Lag Recovery.
- And if you’re traveling with pals, heed these 11 brilliant tips on how to play it cool so it’s all fun and no friction.
Baby & Toddler Travel Gear
I’m a pops to two wonderful kids. And, since my wife and I are fellow travel junkies, I thought I’d include some cool gear that’s been spot on for us, whether on the boat or off:
- Priority one: a fantastic diaper bag backpack. We use theunisex HapTim Multi-function Large, and I don’t think it can get better.
- A comfy carrier, like this one from Infantino, is crucial.
- The stroller game is too crazy to discuss. All I know is that a generation ago the umbrella stroller worked for everyone. So if you don’t want to lug around your car of a stroller, grab one of these like we use for sailing and you’ll love how compact it is.
- This Motorola Baby Monitor has been so incredible for travel. Just take the monitor with you to the store and you can see if baby is okay back at the hotel (I’M KIDDING! Just wanted to see if you were paying attention
). But really, it’s been awesome.
- This compact Lotus Travel Crib is also essential for alternative accommodations, camping, and sailing.
- For those sunny days, use a baby-safe sunscreen like ThinkBaby, a baby beach tent (this one is better than ours because you can close it completely if you wanted), and a Bijoux life vest for any boating.
- Oh, and these 9 Fantastic Children’s Books About Travel make for fun reading while away too.
There you have it, more gear than you care to know about! But for those missing pieces, I hope this was helpful and made buying what you need a lot easier.